Water safety is a topic that is always at the forefront of our minds. Here is some information about the precautions we take to ensure the safety of our little swimmers:
- Emory provides four certified lifeguards who are on duty at all times while we are at the pool.
- Camp staff is required to either join the children in the water OR sit on the side of the pool watching the campers. Counselors will NOT use personal cell phones at the pool or at any time during the camp day.
- Campers are only allowed to use the low diving board.
- Every Monday during the afternoon swim period, campers will take a short swim test (even if they were tested the week before) to determine if they are ready to leave the shallow end of the pool.
- Children who can’t swim will wear a floatation device.
- We will use the buddy system in the pool as an extra precaution.
- Several staff members received CPR training in May and we are planning to train many others over the summer.
- We maintain a 1-to-6 staff-to-camper ratio at all times.
- In the City Camp takes water safety very seriously and will be discussing it with our staff throughout the summer.